Tuesday, August 21, 2007

the zoo & school

It's been 4 days since I updated...man, I'm getting slack!

We had a pretty busy weekend and a busy day off yesterday and am just finding the time to write.

We took the girls to the zoo on Saturday. We went initially, to go in the wading pool/waterfalls there b/c the girls wanted to go swimming but we couldn't find a place to go that was open. We are all decked out in our swimsuits and shorts and get to the wading pool/waterfall and the water was nasty and there really wasn't that much water at all. Our girls refused to get in at all, but I, being the adventurous one, waded on in and got under the waterfall. The girls then wanted to go look at the animals, so that's what we did. We saw snakes, flamingos, alligators, giraffes, rhinos, lions, leopards, nutria (these big water rats that run around the streets of New Orleans) and many other animals that don't come to mind at the moment. As we are walking through the zoo, it starts pouring down rain and we were glad that we all had our swimsuits on (though I was struggling to keep the camera dry). We then pass by a fountain and the girls want to jump in it. A man that works at the zoo overheard the girls and said "go on ahead", so we all went running over to the fountain and jumped on in! We splashed around for a while and had fun and then went to see some more animals. Overall, it was a fun trip.

I started school last week. I am taking two classes on Mondays (one from 8:30-11 and another from 12-2:30). While I am extremely glad to be in grad school, it sucks having to wake up at 6 am on your day off! My classes are quite interesting. I took both of these classes at Winthrop for my undergrad, so I have a pretty good background knowledge of these topics (Human Behavior in the Social Environment and Social Welfare Practice & Policies). These classes are quite different from Winthrop though. Everyone here is so liberal. Everyone in the city hates Bush and is so negative about our nation and it's government. It's taking some getting used to for me not to be offended, but I just have to remember that I don't live in the "Bible Belt" of South Carolina anymore. I'm learning a lot about the culture here and about social work practice. Learning is a good thing, even if it hurts a little. :)

We're having guest night tonight and some prestigious lawyer is coming over to eat dinner with us. The girls are making sure the house looks perfect and cooking a great meal (Fried pork chops, pasta with shrimp, crawfish tails, and hot sausage, and they even made a strawberry cake). It should be a good time.

Matt & I have this weekend off! Praise the Lord! We can't wait to get two days off in a row and go to the church we actually enjoy!

No comments: