Saturday, August 11, 2007

What happens when you don't go to Wal-Mart...

First, let me say that I have the most amazing husband ever. We needed groceries for the house and a few other household items and needed to go to Wal-Mart. I absolutely hate going to Wal-Mart on Saturdays (especially with 6 teenage girls)! My husband so graciously went with four of our girls to brave Wal-Mart to buy $400 worth of groceries and household supplies. God bless my dear husband.

Next, let me share what happened when they were gone. I was sitting in the office, watching COPS and the doorbell rings. It's one of our girls coming back from an outing, so I go to let her in. When I open the door she is hollering about this drunk man on the sidewalk. The man proceeds to walk onto our driveway and fall over on his back (with his arms still in the air looking like a cockroach). Then he proceeds to scoot across the driveway, sidewalk, and into the oncoming traffic on Magazine Street. He stands up and wobbles around the road, walking in circles for a while. At this point I go and get the phone to call the cops. I call 911 and tell them what the situation is because I am pretty worried that this guy is going to get hit by a car. Meanwhile, one of our girls walks outside and helps him back to the sidewalk and tries to get him to come sit on our porch, but he refuses. At this point, this girl tells me that this is the deaf guy that comes into Wendy's (where she works) all the time and writes on a napkin his order. And she remarks that he is always drunk. So, here I am with two of my girls, sitting on our porch watching this guy stand on the sidewalk, and then fall over again, and then crawl into a nearby yard. The police come and say they don't see him (he was in the yard nearby) and leave. I guess they have better things to do than to help a drunken deaf man. There's nothing more we could do. We went inside and our good deed was done. I wish there was a happier ending to this story. I wish I know this man made it home safely. I pray that he has someone to take care of him and love him.

So, that's what happens when you don't go to Wal-Mart.

No comments: